So, you’ve bought one of our gorgeous murals or already have one at home. You may have read up on how our wallpapers work and researched the current interior trends. It’s arrived. You love it. After all, our murals can make any home magazine-interview worthy. But, how do you keep it clean?
The thing is, our homes don’t solely exist in magazines. They aren’t always shiny and clean like the rooms on Pinterest and Instagram. They are real places where real people live. So, it isn’t a surprise when your sofa is stained by that sauce that once escaped your plate on takeaway night. That time when there was a horrendous red wine pool on your floor from that party you hosted. Oh, and don’t forget when your cute (yet incredibly tiring) toddler scribbled on the wall using all the colours of the rainbow.
We could be positive and say that these stains are “memories” that make a house a home. Or, we could stop procrastinating and get rid of those irritating stains, bits of dirt and mould.
If you’ve been asking yourself, 'How do you clean wallpaper?' read on to find answers on how to clean your fabulous feature wall.
1. How do you remove stains from wallpaper?
- Do not use any detergents. This may lift the inks from the mural design (and you really don’t want that to happen)
- Use a damp sponge or cloth to gently wipe any stains away from your wall mural
- Lastly, no scrubbing. Gently wipe the mural to remove a stain
2. How do you remove dirt from wallpaper?
- Again, do not use detergent. This will risk removing ink from your wall mural
- Simply use a damp cloth or sponge and gently wipe away the dirt
3. Can you clean mould from wallpaper?
- Correct wall preparation before installing your wall mural should stop mould growing
- We recommend sealing/priming the wall before installing your wallpaper. This will help with mould and mildew (a good tip if you’re using your mural in a bathroom or your house is prone to damp)
- You can also buy a sealant which has anti-mould properties. This will again help with any mould or mildew
- Do not use detergents to clean off the mould. Using detergents will risk removing the ink from the wallpaper
- Just like stains and dirt, use a damp cloth or sponge to gently wipe off the mould
4. Can you steam clean wallpaper?
- The short answer is no. The steam will activate the paste and make the wallpaper come away from the wall (a big no-no!)
- All you need to use is a damp cloth or sponge to gently wipe away any dirt, mould or stains
You asked how do you clean wallpaper and we have given you the answer. Now you're ready to tackle that dirt, stain or mould! We hope that we have given you the confidence to take the plunge. We're sure you'll feel great once that irritating mark has vanished from your life.
If you’re still not completely confident and have a few more questions on how to clean wallpaper, leave us a message below in the comments section. We're always here to help!